Thursday, June 17, 2010

Support? Priceless.

My husband and I celebrated our ten year anniversary a few weeks ago and what do you think he surprised me with all wrapped up with a bow? 

 

Chocolates? 

 

Roses? 

 

Diamonds?  

 

Nope.

 

He gave me a candy apple red hp mini laptop that fits in my purse so that I can write on the train during my commute to and from work every day.

 

How amazing is that?

 

I was so blown away that I actually cried.  Not because the laptop was pretty and not because it was certainly a more expensive gift than we should really be buying right now.  I cried because of the fact that he supports me, that he understands how important this “writing thing” is to me, that he wants to help me – in any way that he can – get this book written.  That means more to me than anything else he could have ever given me.

 

Writing is really lonely at times.  And, for many of us, it’s something that few of the people in our lives really understand or appreciate.  I haven’t even told my co-workers that I’m writing a novel.  It’s like leading a double life but without the cool gadgets.  So, when someone - especially someone whose opinion you really value -  shows you how much they support your work and your dream.  Well, it’s priceless.

 

1 comment:

  1. I envy you. I know I have support but no one has shown it. It must be wonderful to have such an assurance from one you love.

    ReplyDelete